- Quinnipiac College School of Law, J.D.
- John Carroll University, B.A.
- Syracuse University, M.A.
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut
John W. Knuff
Throughout his more than twenty-five years of practice, John W. Knuff has guided hundreds of clients through the intricacies of the land use approval process with a combination of enthusiasm and persistent attention to detail.His clients' projects involve virtually every property use: residential, retail, hospitals, shopping malls, telecommunications facilities, industrial conversions, and assisted living.
John's dedication is evident in his decades-long representation of prominent retailers throughout Connecticut. This work includes notable land acquisition and upgrades to Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield's Trumbull mall over the last fifteen years, including the addition of new retailers and a recent approval to permit a multi-family residential community on the mall property to facilitate its transition to a mixed-use, 21st-century destination. He has also advised one of the world's largest retailers in all of their Connecticut real estate concerns, including the construction and expansion of its stores and state licensing matters in more than two dozen municipalities.
In addition to his work on high-profile retail locations, John served as lead counsel in obtaining multiple approvals for the historic expansion of the Hospital of Saint Raphael campus in New Haven as well as a contested approval process associated with a new boatyard and apartment community in Stamford. He has obtained approvals for multi-family and mixed-use developments in both small towns and large urban centers throughout the state.
John's practice extends to his clients' other real estate needs. He has successfully litigated numerous land use appeals, often defending his client's approval from challenges by opposition groups or neighboring property owners. John also handles transactional matters ranging from simple leases and easements to complex purchase and sale agreements.
John is an active member of the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), where he served as State Alliance Program Co-Chair. In addition, he served on the Fairfield Town Plan and Zoning Commission, the Milford Chamber of Commerce, and the Orange Economic Development Commission. John is also a member of the Connecticut Bar Association's Environmental and Planning & Zoning Sections.
Well-regarded in the legal community, John has been selected to Best Lawyers in the area of Land Use. He is AV Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell's highest peer recognition for ethical standards and legal ability.
- Chambers USA: Land Use & Zoning
- Benchmark Litigation
- AV Preeminent Rated™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America: Land Use
- Connecticut Super Lawyers: Land Use & Zoning
- American Bar Association, Environmental and Planning & Zoning Law Sections, Member
- Connecticut Bar Association, Environmental and Planning & Zoning Law Sections, Member
- American Planning Association, Connecticut Chapter, Member
- International Council of Shopping Centers, Member
- State Alliance Program, Co-Chair
- Fairfield Town Plan and Zoning Commission, Former Member
- Milford Chamber of Commerce, Former Member
- Orange Economic Development Commission, Former member