Hurwitz, Sagarin, Slossberg & Knuff, LLC represents local, regional and national developers in all aspects of their various real estate projects — from regional shopping malls, big box stores, and lifestyle centers to golf courses and mixed-use developments, including village concept projects. Our lawyers advise clients on compliance with local, state and federal statutes and regulations, all aspects of land use permitting, and environmental issues. We represent clients before local planning, zoning, wetland, and conservation commissions throughout the State of Connecticut, as well as various state agencies, including the State Traffic Commission and Department of Energy and Environmental Protection.
Proposed developments today receive an unprecedented level of scrutiny from savvier commission members, painstaking opposition experts, third-party consultants, environmental intervenors, vigilant members of the press, and a knowledgeable and mobilized public. As a result, never before has there been as strong a need for legal counsel who can overcome not only the regulatory and legal challenges, but the strategic and interpersonal ones as well.
Whether conferring with various stakeholders and elected officials, devising legislative solutions, negotiating property acquisitions, coordinating environmental reviews, determining appropriate mitigation and remediation measures, managing public hearing presentations, satisfying conditions of approval, or resolving appellate, we approach every project, large or small, with an eye for those critical details that make the difference in obtaining the required approvals while also enhancing the financial viability and desirability of each development.
Attorneys in the firm are members of the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), the Home Builders Association of Connecticut, Inc., and the Connecticut Developers Council.
Representative projects handled by HSSK’s attorneys have included:
- An approximately 400,000 square foot expansion of Westfield Corporation’s Connecticut Post Mall.
- Mixed use, village concept development in Woodbridge, Connecticut.
- Great River Golf Club and associated residential subdivision.
- Mixed use, new urbanism developments in Fairfield, Connecticut.
- Lifestyle retail center on behalf of DDR in Guilford, Connecticut.
- $40 million upgrade to Westfield Trumbull shopping center.
- Representation of one of the world’s largest retailers for new stores and the expansion of existing stores throughout Connecticut.
- Lowe’s anchored power center in Milford, Connecticut on behalf of Ceruzzi Holdings LLC.
- Approvals required for the redevelopment of existing fast food restaurants and gasoline station/convenience stores in multiple locations in Connecticut.
- Representation of a Connecticut municipality for a new recreational facility.
- Redevelopment of brownfields and former industrial space in Stamford’s South End for residential, commercial and retail uses.
- Mixed use, transit-oriented development adjacent to a major Metro North station.
- Single-family and multi-family residential development for sale and rental throughout Connecticut.
- Development and renovation of commercial office space in lower Fairfield County.