Alternative Dispute Resolution
Recognizing that traditional litigation can be costly, time intensive and, in some cases, damaging to business reputations and workplace culture, more and more companies seek fair and efficient alternatives to resolve their disputes. Mediation and arbitration are common mechanisms sought out by parties and/or recommended by the courts and counsel to secure just results without navigating an already overburdened court system.
Leveraging decades of experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in complex business litigation, we start with a level playing field, bringing parties the comfort of impartiality, and a broad lens through which we see and bring even the most complicated disputes to successful resolution.
As arbitrators, mediators, and special masters in sophisticated commercial litigation, we focus our practice on a variety of disputes including those involving employment matters, commercial agreements, property valuations, trade practices, intellectual property and the full panoply of financial matters impacting businesses, their executives and owners.
We are mindful that business neutrals must focus on meeting the needs and objectives of the particular business parties involved. In arbitration, we bring value to all parties by having clear schedules, organized submissions, and efficient hearings. In mediation we take care to truly understand and appreciate each parties’ position, thereby building the foundation for the types of creative solutions that are often necessary to resolve complex and hard-fought matters. And when serving as Special Masters, we rely on our varied litigation experience to assist parties in navigating high volume document cases, including the particular challenges of electronic discovery (ESI).
- Arbitrated multi-million-dollar dispute concerning the entitlement to, and valuation of, minority stock interests in an $80 million dollar closely- held business;
- Mediated complex employment discrimination matters;
- Court appointed Special Master in mediating and assisting in successful settlement of wage and hour class action;
- Court appointed Special Master to propose and administer settlement of payment of wages to class of terminated employees;
- Special Master overseeing discovery in a complex multi-defendant action alleging fraudulent transfers to avoid multimillion-dollar judgment; ruling on 23 discovery disputes over three years;
- Special Master appointed to oversee discovery in action asserting claims of lender misconduct in connection with foreclosure on a mortgage, ruling on complex issues involving electronic discovery and party obligations to pay for expert witness preparation time.